Saturday, December 16, 2006

Good Game Development Info

Waaay back in 2001-ish, I was laid off when the high-tech bubble burst. I started taking up coding in C++ in order to pass the time. I also started dabbling in DX8.0 and 9.0 as well. I didn't get too far, but I learned quite a bit. Flash back to now and I've started coding again. Now, for those who want to start looking at this, there are some resources that I found very useful...

Web Sites

Gamedev
Flipcode

Books

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
Beginning C++ Game Programming

..the last book is especially excellent I found.

Gamedev also has a forum thread that acts as a companion to the Teach Yourself book.

Now, take it from me....it will take time to learn this stuff. Plan to spend a good year or so to really understand how to code properly. I'm an electrical engineer by training, so I've done coding before, but I've got kids, work, gaming etc, so a year is the goal I set for myself. By that time, I should be proficient enough to start my own project. The forum thread above gives a great project and I've already started that.

Just thought I'd share.

Oh...and here is a free IDE and compiler if you don't have one.

D out.

No comments: