Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Getting too familiar with your game

Well...two days ago I was not amused, today I must say that I am disturbed. Six days ago, Elysium from Gamers With Jobs posted his "Anti-Review" of Vanguard. If you go to that link, you'll see 6 pages of comments...I've read all of them. Some of them are good, sensible comments, but most of them are steaming piles of bile spewed out by people who are holding on too tight. Go ahead and read some of them...and don't stop there, this article has play in almost every Vanguard forum.

Why do you guys do that? I mean, honestly. The guy obviously spoke his mind on how he feels about the game and contributed content that takes a good critical look.... and he gets raped for it? Its wrong...wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

You Vanguard guys are supposed to be a cut above the WoW fanbois, and the crap that I read says you're no better. Have you been to the WoW forums lately? If you haven't, I suggest you do...and make sure you shower with a brillo pad after. I think we all need to turn a new leave in the MMO/Gaming community...and I know that this is going to be hard for some of you. Here's the idea: Don't say anything to someone in a forum you wouldn't say to their face with your grandma watching. How about that....

Now that I've vented...the GWJ guys talked about the thread at some length in their latest podcast (which, like Virgin Worlds, I listen to religiously). They bring up that these fanbois, not just Vanguard's, invest so much of themselves into these games that any critical or negative views on it is like a critical or negative view on them. The game, to them, is personal. It is their life, their soul, their preciousssssss. Still, we all need to check ourselves when we start attacking the person and not the idea. It's a tactic best reserved for the politicians....not for gamers. We should be debating, criticizing, examining, and questioning ideas both new and old. Fanbois, it seems, don't want to debate. They know what they know, when they know it and you are not to tell them otherwise.

/shrug...well. I think it was a good "anti-review". I think it was a good article that at least got me thinking. Pitty some don't like to think.

D out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

/golfclap

Well said.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on this. I think there are two types of gamers. The ones who play the games they play and don't really care about any other games, and the ones who are passionate about the industry as a whole and understand people's differences in gaming. I'd like to say that the latter is generally those of us who blog about it and probably comprised most of the intelligent comments to Elysium's post. /shrug