Thursday, March 01, 2007

My MUD, WoW-down and Warhammer 40K

Back in 2006, I made a little "skill development" new years resolution to relearn C++ again. Well, I've reached, what I think anyway, is a milestone in that goal. I've created my fist miniMUD-ish program. It's not much. For details on what the project is, you can go here. I'm still needing to put the bells and whistles in it, and some other loose ends to tie up...but it basically works. Going to keep working on it, adding new features and maybe get some graphics in there once I learn the ins and outs of the DirectX API. Sorry for the technical/ non-MMO/resolution stuff...but reporting that here somehow keeps me on track and honest.

Well, I don't think I've logged into WoW for about 3-4 weeks and I really feel no urge to do so. I think the WoW train has lost it's steam...for me at least. With LoTR on the horizon, Vanguard and EQ2, I think I have all of the bases covered for my MMO enjoyment. I'll probably be canceling my account very soon. I'm sure I'll be going back to WoW at some point, but for now, the game has zero appeal for me. I know...I know...it's weird, but sadly true.

Some good MMO news coming out of THQ and Games Workshop regarding the developing of a Warhammer 40K MMO. Exciting news I think, since it's a departure from the slew of fantasy titles that are coming out this year. It'll be a welcome breath of fresh air. Not very much in the way of design details, but we'll need to keep an eye out for this one. Going to be interesting to see the how the the two Warhammer MMOs compare in terms of subscriptions numbers and such. Regardless, multiple wargasms are being had by Warhammer fans with this news.

D out.

1 comment:

Bildo said...

"Well, I don't think I've logged into WoW for about 3-4 weeks and I really feel no urge to do so. I think the WoW train has lost it's steam...for me at least. With LoTR on the horizon, Vanguard and EQ2, I think I have all of the bases covered for my MMO enjoyment. I'll probably be canceling my account very soon. I'm sure I'll be going back to WoW at some point, but for now, the game has zero appeal for me. I know...I know...it's weird, but sadly true."

I'm in the same boat as you there, Darren. With LotRO around the corner in 3 weeks, and nothing but grinding to look forward to in WoW, I'm done with it. Were it not for my wife playing once in a while, I'd have cancelled last month.

LotRO, at least for me, is just a better game, with a better world, and far more to do than kill kill kill.