Friday, February 10, 2006

RF Online - Part 1

Oh my....where do I start.

I mentioned atmosphere on my SW:EaW article. If you haven't read it yet, do that now...I'll wait......

Atmosphere in a game really draws in the gamer. It brings you into the world and makes you care about the things you do in it. RF Online is not off to a good start.

So I download the client and enter my Beta key that I got from Fileplanet. In total, this took about an hour or so. I start it up and BAM...they hit you with the first impression. I suddenly feel like prancing in a field of daisies with puppies and kittens. I'll just leave you with that mental image for a second......

The music in the log-on screen. I have never heard music that was this misplaced in a game before. I'm about to enter into a world where I'm cutting, blasting, and destroying and these guys give me tunes from The Sound of Music. Well...not literally, but you get the idea.

I ended up logging in long enough for the tutorial, but logged off right after. That impression, for some reason, just stuck with me.

This game already had a hit against it by being an anime-type of MMO a-la Lineage II (I can't stand anime...something is very wrong with a person who draws cartoons like that). Now they completely drew me out of the game...AT THE LOG-ON SCREEN.....jeesh.

I will try to write a part II for this article when I actually get to play the game. I just need to stock up on Gravol and Tums first as well as take a shower
...so more to come on this one.

No comments: